This position is currently a hybrid remote/in-office position. Local applicants are preferred.
American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones.
AFPM is looking for a knowledgeable Director, Fuel & Vehicle Policy to join our team of regulatory affairs and government relations professionals. The Director, Fuel & Vehicle Policy will play a primary role in the formulation and implementation of AFPM fuels policy, in particular the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) as well as vehicles policy. This position will work closely with the Advocacy team in increasing the effectiveness and visibility of AFPM with the Executive Branch, Congress, and state lawmakers on key regulatory and policy matters affecting the refining and petrochemical sectors.
- Prepares AFPM comments on Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation proposals that impact fuels.
- Develops AFPM comments on vehicle policy proposals, including at the state level (such as EV mandates or subsidies).
- Alerts members and AFPM Senior Management of key fuels and vehicle policy developments.
- Represents AFPM on, is an integral member of, and facilitates the work of the AFPM Fuels Committee.
- Initiates and maintains effective relationships with Executive Branch officials and their staff on fuels policy matters.
- Reviews and provides input on draft fuels litigation briefs.
- Develops and delivers oral testimony at EPA and other public hearings.
- Prepares fuels publication for AFPM members.
- Participates in, develops, and leads coalition activities in support of AFPM objectives.
- Provides technical guidance to AFPM Government Relations staff on fuels and vehicle legislative policy and proposals.
- Develops and maintains strong and positive working relationships with AFPM member company representatives.
- 10+ years of experience working with energy and fuels matters, the RFS and/or vehicle policies in particular. Association experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills in formulating regulatory positions.
- Outstanding communication skills, evidenced by experience in communicating advocacy positions, including writing regulatory comments and/or testimony.
- Initiative and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with co-workers across the organization, members, and AFPM allies.
- Familiarity with ASTM and the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Experience with effective agency advocacy (i.e., meetings with Office of Management and Budget (OMB), monitoring rulemakings currently at OMB for interagency review).
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills; ability to work under tight time constraints.
- Excellent work ethic and an ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.